Dental implants are metal posts surgically inserted to the patient's jawbone below the gums, on the top of which the dentist mounts the artificial teeth. Through the process called osseointegration, the implants become fused to the patient's jaw bone to act as an anchor or support for the placement of the artificial tooth or a dental crown. An abutment connects the artificial tooth and the dental implant.
The crown is fabricated as per the person's teeth color and fit to appear, feel, and function like natural teeth.
- Look natural and are comfortable
- The process has a higher success rate
- Helps improve chewing function
- Reduces the risk of cavity formation in nearby teeth
- Helps in better maintenance of bone at the place of the lost tooth
- Helps to reduce sensitivity in adjacent teeth
Types of Dental Implants
Dental implants are of two types: endosteal and subperiosteal.
The most popular and standard type of dental implant, endosteal implants, are fused straight onto the patient's jawbone. If the patient needs to replace only one tooth, an endosteal implant is the best solution.
A subperiosteal implant is made from metal and is placed below the patient's gum tissue and over the jaw bone. They are ideal for replacing several teeth in one area if the patient cannot wear dentures or have low jaw bone density.
Benefits of Dental Implants
At De Lucs Dental, patients who undergo dental implant procedures enjoy various benefits:
- Dental implants appear, function, and feel like natural teeth. When they fuse with the jaw bone, they are permanently fixed in the patient's mouth.
- Unlike poorly-fitted dentures that might slip from the patient's mouth, people need not feel conscious about having dental implants in their mouth as they are fixed.
- Once dental implants are fixed in the patient's mouth, they do not cause any discomfort to the patient.
- Dental implants contribute to the patient's long-term oral health as they do not need to cut down the adjacent tooth.
- Dental implants are permanent, durable, and long-lasting.
- Implants help maintain the integrity and density of bone structure after tooth loss.
- Implants help to replace loose-fitting or bulky dentures.
- By replacing lost teeth with dental implants, bite forces are evenly distributed throughout the mouth.
- Implants prevent the bone loss that might occur after a tooth loss and thus improve the patient's facial appearance.
If you want to learn more about our dental implant procedure, visit our office, De Lucs Dental, LLC, at 8630 Fenton Street, Suite 204, Silver Spring, MD 20910. You can also reach Dentist in Silver Spring, MD at 301-587-8081 | 301-587-8082.